Even before the age of film and cinema, people have always loved to be afraid. What was once scary stories told around a campfire in the center of spooky forests evolved into stories read out of books designed to frighten and terrify with the lights turned down low. Nowadays, there are films that aim to scare their viewers to the core, but finding scary movies that are genuinely scary can be hard to do. Check out this list of the seven best scary movies on Netflix if you are looking for something that is thoroughly bone-chilling.
1. The Babadook (2014)
|Release Date on Netflix||April 14, 2015|
|Runtime||1 hour 33 minutes|
|IMDb Rating||6.8 out of 10|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||98%|
|Streaming on||Netflix United States, Netflix Argentina, Netflix Denmark, Netflix Mexico, Netflix Japan, Netflix South Korea, Netflix Sweden, Netflix Brazil and Netflix New Zealand|
Given a generously high rating on Rotten Tomatoes and an easy choice for number one on this list of the best scary movies on Netflix, The Babadook follows the story of a mother who is left alone to raise her son, Samuel, after the violent death of his father. Samuel has nightmares involving a monster who wants to kill him, and when a book titled The Babadook shows up on his doorstep, Samuel realizes this is the same monster terrorizing him in his dreams and he goes crazy.
– The Director of the Exorcist (1973) says that The Babdook frightened him more than any other film he’d ever seen.
– This film is inspired by The Monster (2005), a short film.
2. The Shining (1980)
|Release Date on Netflix||February 18th, 2015|
|IMDb Rating||8.4 out of 10|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||92%|
|Streaming on||Netflix United States, Netflix Austria, Netflix India, Netflix Luxembourg, Netflix Switzerland, Netflix South Korea, Netflix Belgium and Netflix Russia|
The Shining follows Jack Nicholson’s character Jack Torrance who is a writer that gets a job as a winter caretaker at a hotel in order to write in peace. He takes his family with him and soon they discover that the old winter caretaker was driven mad. Not long after, Torrance himself becomes possessed by the same entity.
– The Overlook Hotel is actually the Timberline Lodge in Oregon. The management team at the lodge requested that the movie uses a different room number than Room 217, which is where the events took place in the book, and instead wanted them to use an imaginary room, Room 237, so that people wouldn’t avoid renting 217.
3. Room 237 (2012)
|Release Date on Netflix||September 24, 2013|
|Runtime||1 hour 42 minutes|
|IMDb Rating||6.3 out of 10|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||94%|
|MPAA Rating||Not Rated|
|Streaming on||Netflix Japan|
An easy follow up to The Shining on our list of the seven best scary movies on Netflix is Room 237, a documentary that looks into a number of perceived meanings, theories and interpretations on the film, The Shining.
– This film won a variety of different international and independent film awards.
– Theories on The Shining featured in this film range from the Holocaust, the moon landing and Native American genocide.
4. The Rite (2011)
|Release Date on Netflix||November 25, 2015|
|Runtime||1 hour 54 minutes|
|IMDb Rating||6.0 out of 10|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||20%|
|Streaming on||Netflix United States, Netflix Argentina, Netflix Mexico and Netflix Brazil|
Ranked as one of the top 10 Netflix movies, The Rite, starring Anthony Hopkins, is a story about a mortuary owner’s son who ends up becoming a seminary student. The son takes a trip to Italy from America in order to take a course on exorcism. Though it did not initially generate rave reviews, it has become a cult classic among American Netflix watchers.
– The Rite is based on a book by Matt Baglio and tells a tale based on the real Father Gary.
– The father of the main character is inspired by Father Gary, a real Roman Priest. The actor even resembles the Roman priest closely.
5. The Blair Witch Project (1999)
|Release Date on Netflix||March 1, 2014|
|Director||Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sanchez|
|Runtime||1 hour 21 minutes|
|IMDb Rating||6.4 out of 10|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||86%|
|Streaming on||Netflix United States, Netflix New Zealand and Netflix Australia|
The Blair Witch Project, labeled as one of the top 20 scary movies on Cinemablend, is a story that tells the tale of three film students who take off into the woods to try and solve the mystery of the urban legend, the Blair Witch. These students were never seen again and the story is told through the film footage that is left behind.
– The film’s directors intentionally fed the actors less and less food each day in order to foster anger and irritation on set.
– It only took eight days for The Blair Witch Project to be filmed.