3. The Way Back (2010)
|Release Date on Netflix||August 15, 2014|
|Runtime||2 hours 13 minutes|
|IMDb Rating||7.3 out of 10|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||75%|
|Streaming on||Netflix United States, Netflix Canada, Netflix Sweden, Netflix Denmark, Netflix Norway, Netflix Brazil, Netflix New Zealand and Netflix Australia|
The Way Back is a tale about a man named Janusz who ends up in a Siberian labor camp after becoming estranged from his wife. Having to endure terrible conditions, the man escapes and during a harsh blizzard. He makes it out with a small group of fellow prisoners and the gang has to travel 4,000 miles on foot through the Himalaya mountains to be free. The movie is starring Colin Farrell, Ed Harris, and Dragos Bucur and is one of the best prison movies on Netflix.
- This film was made in India, Morocco and Bulgaria since they looked just like the terrain one might find in Siberia.
2. The Fear of 13 (2015)
|Release Date on Netflix||June 1st, 2016|
|Runtime||1 hour 36 minutes|
|IMDb Rating||7.7 out of 10|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||92%|
|MPAA Rating||Not Rated|
|Streaming on||Netflix United States, Netflix France, and Netflix Denmark|
Earning high marks on critic site Rotten Tomatoes, The Fear of 13 is a story about a convicted murderer who has been on death row for 23 years. He petitions the court asking them to just hurry up and execute him, but as he continues to tell his story, it becomes obvious that nothing is really what it seems in this story. It’s one of the best prison movies of all time AND one of the best prison movies on Netflix.
- This film was in the running in the 2015 London Film Festival for Best Documentary.
- The filmmakers originally intended to include a live-action reenactment of the scenes that Nick was describing but realized soon enough that his narration was enough to get the story told.
1. O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
|Release Date on Netflix||November 11, 2014|
|Director||Joel Coen and Ethan Coen|
|Runtime||1 hour 47 minutes|
|IMDb Rating||7.8 out of 10|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||77%|
|Streaming on||Netflix United Kingdom and Netflix Germany|
O Brother, Where Art Thou? definitely is one of the best prison movies on Netflix. The movie follows the tale of the epic The Odyssey. This film follows Ulysses Everett McGill, who is portrayed by George Clooney, along with two escaped convicts who are all friends in the Deep South during the 30s. Together, they hunt for a hidden treasure while on a time limit seeing as if they don’t get to it soon, it will be at the bottom of a newly flooded lake. A law enforcement officer is on their trail the entire time. This is, hands-down, the best prison movie you can stream on Netflix.
- O Brother, Where Art Thou? was filmed in Florence, South Carolina and in Canton, Mississippi.
- The film is based on the epic poem by Homer, but the writers never read the poem. Instead, they took inspiration from the comic book version of the Odyssey when writing this movie.
Prison dramas are typically dark and thrilling, telling stories of a lifestyle that is tucked away behind bars and usually never spoken of again. Check out the above list of the seven best prison movies on Netflix and see for yourself what many convicts face during the course of their sentences. Then, return back to this page and let us know what you thought about each one, any questions you have or any opinions you want to share in the comments below.