5. Coraline (2009)
|Release Date on Netflix||December 4, 2012|
|Runtime||1 hour 40 minutes|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||90%|
|Streaming on||Netflix United States, Netflix Canada, Netflix Brazil, Netflix Argentina, Netflix France, Netflix Japan, Netflix Australia|
Last but not least on our list of the 7 best family movies on Netflix, is about a little girl played by Dakota Fanning named Coraline. Coraline takes a journey into another world that is unique and surreal, idealizing her current home world. This new place is not all that it seems, boasting a slew of mysterious secrets for her to unravel.
- Coraline was the very first stop-motion animated film to be shot wholly in 3D.
- Shooting Coraline took well over 18 months and only came about after two years of pre-production work.
4. Fantasia (1940)
|Release Date on Netflix||January 5, 2015|
|Director||Paul Satterfield, T. Hee, Norman Ferguson, and others|
|Runtime||2 hours 5 minutes|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||96%|
|Streaming on||Unfortunately, this movie is no longer available for streaming on Netflix; however, you can get it through a DVD subscription!|
Number 58 on the American Film Institute’s list of the 100 Greatest Movies of All Time, Fantasia is a visually stunning masterpiece that animates different interpretations of numerous tracks from Western classical music numbers. Songs featured and illustrated include the popular and thrilling “Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria,” “Toccata and Fugue in D Minor,” “Dance of the Hours” and “Nutcracker Suite” along with many others.
- Even with over 60 years passing since the release of Fantasia, Disney as a company still gets complaints from parents saying that the “Night on Bald Mountain” segment petrified their little ones.
- Salvador Dalí, a surrealist painter, illustrated some parts of the movie but they were discarded and never made it into the film.
Recommended read: If you liked this collection of Netflix movies and want to see more ideas, also check out our collection of the best kids’ movies on Netflix!
3. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
|Release Date on Netflix||November 19, 2016|
|Runtime||1 hour 55 minutes|
|IMDb Rating||7.9 out of 10|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||98%|
|Streaming on||Netflix Australia, Netflix Argentina, Netflix Brazil, Netflix Japan, Netflix Spain.|
A well-loved classic, ET ranks at number 25 on the American Film Institute’s list of the 100 Best American Movies as well as the number one spot on our list of the 7 best family movies on Netflix for a good reason. ET is the story of a brave young boy who happens upon a friendly alien he affectionately calls ET. The boy works to help get the alien back to his home planet as best as he can.
- Renowned director Steven Spielberg chose to shoot the majority of the film from the eye-level perspective of the child to help the audience connect with ET and Elliot.
2. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
|Release Date on Netflix||December 4, 2012|
|Runtime||1 hour 16 minutes|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||95%|
|Streaming on||Netflix United States, Argentina, Netflix Brazil, Netflix France, Netflix Germany|
Number 42 on the Rotten Tomatoes list of the Best Family Movies and perfectly suited for this list of the 7 best family movies on Netflix, The Nightmare Before Christmas follows Jack Skellington, the King of Halloween Town. Jack ends up happening upon Christmas Town and is intrigued by what he sees. He makes an attempt to bring Christmas back to Halloween Town, but the citizens of aren’t sure what to make of it.
- The Halloween Town set featured trap doors to allow the animators access to the animation of each piece from underneath.
- The Nightmare Before Christmas used a total of eight camera crews.
1. The Princess Bride (1987)
|Release Date on Netflix||July 1, 2014|
|Runtime||1 hour 38 minutes|
|IMDb Rating||8.1 out of 10|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||97%|
|Streaming on||Netflix Argentina, Netflix Brazil|
Ranked number 38 on Rotten Tomatoes’ list of the Best Kids and Family Movies, The Princess Bride is a beloved film that captures the essence of classic fairy tales. It includes princesses, giants, princes and sword fights and is told from the perspective of a grandfather reading a story to a sick young boy.
- During the scene where the flame bursts in the forest and the woman’s dress catches on fire, writer William Goldman was on set and shrieked, “Her dress is on fire!” even though he knew it was coming and ruined the take.
- The director felt nauseated during the scenes involving Billy Crystal because he would laugh so hard that he’d feel sick.
Available as live action, animation, stop motion or three-dimensional films, family movies come in all sorts of shapes and sizes so to speak. Some are lighthearted and airy, while others have darker themes that truly add some depth and substance to each scene. The right family movie can inspire growth and understanding in a child and allow the parents to work through certain emotions with them. Enjoy this list of the 7 best family movies on Netflix and then come back and tell us what you thought in the comments below.