Family movies are a great way to spend any night of the week with the people that you love. These types of movies are often warm in nature and inspire feelings of love and happiness while teaching important lessons about friendship and life. They give the family something to discuss together and to think about once the movie has ended, offering up more than just an hour of fun. This article will detail the 7 best family movies on Netflix for you to browse through and pick one out to watch with your loved ones tonight.
9. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
|Release Date on Netflix||October 2nd, 2017|
|Runtime||1 hour 55 minutes|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||82%|
|Streaming on||Netflix United States, Netflix Canada, Netflix Czech Republic, Netflix Lithuania, Netflix Poland, Netflix Russia, Netflix Japan.|
This movie goes through the famous story about Willy Wonka, the eccentric candy king that opened the doors to his candy and chocolate factory to five lucky children. Wikky Wonka, played by Johnny Depp, released five golden tickets to be found by random chocolate lovers including Charlie Bucket, a young boy from an impovrished family that decides to take his grandfather with him on the tour. However, things quickly go south for some of the kids in the tour.
- The movie used 1,850 bars of real Nestlé chocolate.
- All the Oompa-Loompas are played by the same actor (Deep Roy) who had to repeat the same scenes hundreds of times and got a. The shots were put together digitally.
8. Balto (1995)
|Release Date on Netflix||February 2nd, 2017|
|Runtime||1 hour 18 minutes|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||50%|
|Streaming on||Netflix United States, Netflix Canada, Netflix UK, Netflix Poland, Netflix Singapore, Netflix Spain|
The movie Balto is inspired by true events and depicts the difficult winter in 1925’s Nome, Alaska during a diphtheria outbreak. Balto is a half-wolf, half-husky that became a hero after leading a dog team through blizzard across 600 miles of the Alaskan wilderness to take back medical supplies.
- The same real-life events inspired the Iditarod dog sled race.
- Even though Balto got the most fame he only led the expedition for the last 55 miles; 12-year-old Togo has led the dog team for the previous 260 miles.
- After the famous serum race, the dogs were sold to a movie producer, then sold and exhibited in curiosity shows, during which they were also abused and neglected. A businessman bought the dogs after a few years for $2,000 and donated them to the Cleveland Zoo.
7. Paddington (2014)
|Release Date on Netflix||October 1, 2015|
|Runtime||1 hour 35 minutes|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||98%|
|Streaming on||Netflix United States, Netflix Argentina, Netflix Brazil, Netflix Germany, Netflix Sweden, Netflix Norway, Netflix India, Netflix Australia|
On Rotten Tomatoes’ list of the Best Family Movies at number 26 rests Paddington, a well-loved movie inspired by an old novel. This film is about a small Peruvian bear that leaves his country and journeys to London, England, in search of a new place to stay. The bear ends up getting lost and traveling alone, stranded at Paddington Station. At the station, a kind family offers him temporary shelter.
- The daughter of the creator of Paddington, Karen Jankel, almost cried when she saw Paddington for the first time, citing that it was like bringing the bear to life for the first time, and she believed they got her father’s book absolutely right.
- Nicole Kidman, even being a passionate animal lover, took a taxidermy class to get ready for her role in Paddington.
6. The Jungle Book (2016)
|Release Date on Netflix||November 30, 2016|
|Runtime||1 hour 46 minutes|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||95%|
|Streaming on||Netflix United States, Netflix Canada, Netflix Australia, Netflix Norway, Netflix Sweden, Netflix SPain|
Earning a nice spot on the American Film Institute’s prestigious list of the Best American Movies and a high ranking on our list of the 7 best family movies on Netflix, Jungle Book is a story about a young boy named Mowgli who was raised in the jungle. He flees his forest home after being threatened by Shere Khan, a tiger, and embarks on a trip of self-discovery with help from a happy go lucky bear named Baloo and a panther named Bagheera.
- This film uses talking animals that were modeled after animal behavior. Actors then copied their moves in motion-capture VFX for the end result.