Crime dramas are exciting for many people. They allow us to look into the hearts and into the minds of criminal masterminds, both real and fictional, to get a taste of what goes through their heads when they commit the acts that they do. Crime movies fixate on an aspect of life that most of us will never–and have no desire to–experience, making them all the more alluring and fascinating. Below, you can find a list of the seven best crime movies on Netflix to fire up your senses and get your pulse racing.
1. No Country for Old Men (2007)
|Release Date on Netflix||October 3, 2013|
|Director||Ethan Coen and Joel Coen|
|Runtime||2 hours 2 minutes|
|IMDb Rating||8.1 out of 10|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||93%|
|Streaming on||Netflix United States, Netflix Canada, Netflix Germany, Netflix Brazil, Netflix United Kingdom, Netflix Australia, and Netflix Netherlands.|
The Oscar-winning movie, No Country for Old Men, is a story about Llewelyn Moss, a hunter who accidentally stumbles upon what is left over after a drug deal gone wrong. Moss ends up taking the cash that was left behind and the hunter turns into the hunted when a killer picks up his trail and wants his money back.
– The soundtrack of the film consists of an impressively short 16 minutes of music.
– The suppressor that was used for the shotgun which belonged to Chigurh was not a real suppressor that could be found in real life.
2. The Third Man (1949)
|Release Date on Netflix||April 7, 2014|
|Runtime||1 hour 33 minutes|
|IMDb Rating||8.3 out of 10|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||100%|
|Streaming on||Netflix Canada|
Earning an impressive 100 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes along with a ranking on the American Film Institute’s list of the Best Movies of the last century, http://www.afi.com/100Years/movies.aspx The Third Man follows the story of Holly Martins, a pulp novelist that goes to post-war Vienna, a shadowy and dark place, and there he finds himself investigating the mysterious and unsolved death of Harry Lime, an old friend.
– The Vienna Police Department in this film has a unit that is specifically assigned to patrol the sewer system as they make perfect hiding places for criminals. The actors playing these police officers are actually off-duty members from that special unit.
3. To Catch a Thief (1955)
|Release Date on Netflix||September 9, 2014|
|Runtime||1 hour 46 minutes|
|IMDb Rating||7.5 out of 10|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||95%|
|Streaming on||Netflix Brazil, Netflix United States and Netflix United Kingdom|
To Catch a Thief is a story that follows the life of a jewel thief who has given up his life of crime. This thief ends up turning into the suspect of a new crime which makes people wonder if he has indulged in his old ways again. The thief, anxious to clear his name, takes it upon himself to seek out and catch whoever the real thief is and do it on his own.
– Alfred Hitchcock can be seen around nine minutes into the film, sitting on a bus next to Cary Grant’s character.
– Cary Grant speaks only a single line during the whole of the beginning of To Catch a Thief, and his second line is not spoken until around 14 minutes into the film.
4. Usual Suspects (1995)
|Release Date on Netflix||January 1, 2013|
|Runtime||1 hour 46 minutes|
|IMDb Rating||8.6 out of 10|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||88%|
|Streaming on||Netflix Canada, France, United Kingdom, Netflix Germany, Netflix Netherlands, Netflix Sweden, Netflix Denmark, Netflix Finland and Netflix Norway|
Rated as one of the best all-time movies on IMDb’s list of the Top 50 Movies, Usual Suspects tells a story from the point of view of the sole survivor of murderous events. These events take the viewer on a journey down a road that ends up in a bloody seafaring fight, and everything that happens in this film begins when five random criminals that meet during a police line-up.
– Kevin Spacey was supposed to originally play the part of Verbal Kint.
– Benecio del Toro used such a bizarre dialect in the film that during one of the scenes, the other actor had no idea what he was saying because he missed a cue due to his being unable to understand the man.
5. Pulp Fiction (1994)
|Release Date on Netflix||January 1, 2014|
|Runtime||2 hours 34 minutes|
|IMDb Rating||8.9 out of 10|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||94%|
|Streaming on||Netflix Canada, Netflix France, United Kingdom, Netflix Germany, Netflix Netherlands, Netflix Sweden, Netflix Brazil, Netflix Denmark, Netflix Finland and Netflix Norway|
Earning top marks on Rotten Tomatoes, Pulp Fiction is a story that follows the lives of a boxer, a couple of diner bandits, two mafia hit men and a gangster’s wife. It shows the ways in which their lives intertwine in four different stories that center around the themes of redemption and violence.
– The scene when Vincent plunged the syringe into Mia’s chest was filmed by having John Travolta remove the needle from her chest and then running that footage backward.
– Bruce Willis only worked on Pulp Fiction for a total of eighteen days.