Animated films are something that no one ever really quite grows out of. From the youngest of children to the oldest of adults, a good animated film possesses a story and beautiful artistry that anyone can appreciate. From the classics that were given to us by Walt Disney to more modern versions that span a spectrum of different creators, animated films touch upon a number of different topics for a vast selection that all can enjoy. This article will serve as a list of the seven best animated movies on Netflix that you can watch with the whole family.
1. Lilo and Stitch (2002)
|Release Date on Netflix||September 9, 2013|
|Director||Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders|
|Runtime||1 hour 25 minutes|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||86%|
|Streaming on||Netflix United States, Netflix United Kingdom, Netflix Netherlands, Netflix Brazil, Netflix Australia, Netflix New Zealand, Netflix Canada, Netflix Germany and Netflix Austria|
While dealing with struggles at home, a little Hawaiian girl finds and adopts a pet from a pet shop. This pet turns out to be an on-the-run alien who is notorious and dangerous where he comes from.
– Tia Carrere and Jason Scott Lee were born in Hawaii and helped the film’s writers to understand the accents and to write the dialog.
– A lot of the aliens in Lilo and Stitch are inspired by other Disney characters like Tigger and Piglet.
2. Chicken Run (2000)
|Release Date on Netflix||October 1, 2011|
|Director||Peter Lord and Nick Park|
|Runtime||1 hour 24 minutes|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||97%|
|Streaming on||Netflix United States, Netflix Germany, Netflix Brazil and Netflix Netherlands|
A great choice for number two on our list of the seven best animated movies on Netflix and earning number 22 on Rotten Tomatoes’ list of the best kids movies, Chicken Run is about a rooster from America who falls in love with a hen born on a British farm. They choose to flee together and try to escape the evil farmer who would do anything to keep them from running.
– Mel Gibson’s children were a huge reason why he chose to lend his voice to this film.
– Rocky and Ginger, two of the characters in Chicken Run, were named after the pet chickens that the director owned as a child.
3. Fantasia (1940)
|Release Date on Netflix||January 5, 2015|
|Director||Several directors including Paul Satterfield, T. Hee, Jim Handley, and Norman Ferguson|
|Runtime||2 hours 5 minutes|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||9.6|
|Streaming on||Netflix United States, Netflix France and Netflix Netherlands|
On the American Film Institute’s list of the 100 Greatest Movies of All Time and getting a top spot on our list of the best animated movies on Netflix, Fantasia is a film that boasts several interpretations to different western classical music numbers, animating each one. Segments include “Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria” and “The Nutcracker Suite.”
– Walt Disney did not give the animators any instruction or direction regarding how he wanted the images colored and instead left that up to the animators for the first time in Disney history.
– Fantasia is the only animated Disney film that runs for more than two hours.
4. Paddington (2014)
|Release Date on Netflix||October 1, 2011|
|Runtime||1 hour 35 minutes|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||98%|
|Streaming on||Netflix United States and Netflix Brazil|
Sitting pretty at number 26 on Rotten Tomatoes’ Best Kids Movie list, this film follows the story of a Peruvian bear. The bear made his way all the way to London in order to find a new place to live, but he accidentally gets lost and stranded all alone at Paddington Station. It is at this station he meets the Brown family who offers him a place to go.
– The character of Paddington Bear was inspired by a bear that Michael Bond, the author, found in a store in London on Christmas Ever near the Paddington Station.
– Paddington stars Nicole Kidman who loved the book so much as a child that she was absolutely thrilled to get her role.
5. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
|Release Date on Netflix||December 4, 2012|
|Runtime||1 hour 16 minutes|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||94%|
|Streaming on||Netflix United States, Netflix Brazil and Netflix Canada|
Reaching great heights as number 42 on Rotten Tomatoes’ Best Kids Movies List, The Nightmare Before Christmas follows the story of Jack Skellington. Jack is the king of Halloween Town and accidentally happens upon Christmas Town. The king attempts to bring some Christmas back to Halloween Town but his efforts only cause confusion and unrest back home.
– It took a week to make a single minute of this film, totaling out to be a film that took three years to complete.
– The Nightmare Before Christmas uses 24 frames a second, meaning that each of the stop motion characters had to stop and pose 24 unique times for each second of the film, amounting to around 110,000 frames in total.