6. IP Man (2008)
|Release Date on Netflix||August 7, 2012|
|Runtime||1 hour 46 minutes|
|IMDb Rating||8.0 out of 10|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||85%|
|Streaming on||Netflix United States, Canada, Sweden, Australia, Germany, Italy, Japan, Netherlands|
Currently ranked as the number one movie on Netflix, Ip Man is set during 1937 in the time of the Japanese invasion. It follows a rich martial artist who is made to leave home in order to pursue work to help his family and agrees to help train others in the self-defense method of Wing Chun.
- The real Ip Man who the film is based on was a police officer during the Japanese invasion.
- Even though the fight scenes were numerous, Ip Man was only hit twice during the entire movie and both strikes occurred during the last fight.
7. Captain America: Civil War (2016)
|Release Date on Netflix||December 25, 2016|
|Director||Anthony Russo and Joe Russo|
|Runtime||2 hours 27 minutes|
|IMDb Rating||7.8 out of 10|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||91%|
|Streaming on||Netflix India, Israel|
A well-loved film and one of the best action movies on Netflix, Captain America: Civil War is in the top 10 films on Netflix. This film is about troubles stirred between previous allies, Iron Man played by Robert Downey Jr. and Captain America, played by Chris Evans, due to political interferences.
- At the age of 19, Tom Holland was the youngest person to ever play Peter Parker, also known as Spider Man.
- The first of its kind, this is the only Marvel Cinematic Universe movie that starts with a cold open and bypasses the Marvel Studios logo.
- In the scene where Captain America stops Bucky from leaving in the helicopter, Chris Evans injured his arm muscles.
Recommended read: If you enjoyed Captain America: Civil War, you may want to check out other great Marvel movies streaming on Netflix.
8. The Physician (2013)
|Release Date on Netflix||July 15, 2015|
|Runtime||2 hours 30 minutes|
|IMDb Rating||7.2 out of 10|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||73%|
|Streaming on||Netflix United States, United Kingdom, Poland, Brazil|
The Physician is one of the highest-rated movies on Netflix, sitting high in the top 10 list of movies on Netflix. This film takes place in 11th Century Persia following a surgeon’s apprentice who goes undercover as a Jew in order to study medicine at a school, aiming to learn from a famous healer. He disguises himself as a Jew because the school prohibits Christians from attending.
- This film is based on a best-selling novel of the same name written by author Noah Gordon. The book made it into the list of the top 10 most popular books of all time in the year 1999.
9. The African Queen (1951)
|Release Date on Netflix||November 1, 2016|
|Runtime||1 hour 45 minutes|
|IMDb Rating||7.9 out of 10|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||98%|
|Streaming on||Netflix United States|
Earning the hard-to-get 98 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes, making it a shoe-in for our list of the 10 best action movies on Netflix, The African Queen is set during the World War I period in Africa and follows a drunk riverboat captain who gets swayed by his straight-arrow missionary friend to let him use his ship to attack an enemy warship.
- The move was filmed in many locations of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda with a studio location in the United Kingdom.
- Katharine Hepburn was reportedly so sick with dysentery during the filming of the church scene that a bucket was held off camera because she constantly got sick between takes.
10. O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
|Release Date on Netflix||November 11, 2014|
|Director||Joel Coen and Ethan Coen|
|Runtime||1 hour 47 minutes|
|IMDb Rating||7.8 out of 10|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score||77%|
|Streaming on||Netflix United States, Germany, Netherlands|
Last but not least on our list of best action movies on Netflix, O Brother, Where Art Thou? is a tale that is a modernized version of the Odyssey. The story follows Ulysses Everett McGill, played by George Clooney, and two escaped convict friends in the Deep South during the 1930s. They are on a hunt for the hidden treasure that will soon be at the bottom of a lake while a law enforcer is hot on their trail.
- Though O Brother, Where Art Thou? is based on the epic poem by Homer, the writers never read the poem and instead took from the comic book version of the story when writing the film.
- It was filmed in both Canton, Mississippi, and Florence, South Carolina.
We live vicariously through the adventures of protagonists in our favorite films, and action movies are no different. They provide the thrill of adventure from the comfort of our homes and provide us with plenty of fast-paced drama to keep things interesting. This list of the 10 best action movies on Netflix has been provided to give you a taste of these heroes’ adventures, so dive in and let us know what you think about these films in the comments section below.